Sunday 5 June 2011

Room By Emma Donoghue




Jack is five. He lives in a single, locked room with his ma.

Year published-2010
Award-Hughes & Hughes Irish Novel of the Year as well as the the Rogers Writers’ Trust Fiction Prize

Oh my goodness this book is so emotional. I cried at the certain aspects of the book. The book is told in a first point of view from a little boy who is five years old. Jack is a boy who is trapped in a room with his mother by an abductor who kidnapped his Ma when she was younger. This is a very emotional read it shows the relationship between Jack and his ma. Jack truly believes that it is only them in the world and then one day after Jack had turned 6 years of age. His ma told him that there are lives beyond the room. This was an emotional for his ma to tell him because she knew that he would be devastated on hearing this. And the story takes on from there.

How could a book be so emotional, this was the question I thought to myself while I was reading out the book. But it was and when I finished reading the book which took me a day and two days (I am a slow reader) I really could feel what jack and his ma was feeling and how they must have coped. And the character of Old Nick was portrayed to be horrible, disgusting and vile when you read the book you know what I mean. I really think that we get to know the characteristics of the characters and I really believe that this book is really good read. I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. If you want a deep provoking book then this one is differently for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment